RV&V-IF, Requirements, Verification and Validation Interoperability Forum
RV&V Interoperability Forum was initiated byAFIS (French Chapter of INCOSE) andAFNeT end of 2019, with the objective to provide industry with first solutions for sharing, exchanging and archiving MBSE data. In 2021, the RV&V IF project was integrated in the ATLAS program.
RV&V data is a subset of the MBSE data, covering the modelling of needs and requirements and the modelling of their verification and validation. From a process viewpoint, the RV&V data need to be:
- Cascaded in the system/sub-system structure, meaning needs for exchanging, synchronizing and configuration control of RV&V data between client/customer, system manufacturer and sub-system or system component manufacturers.
- Communicated and shared with other engineering disciplines: a system requirement (in MBSE domain) is typically derived in design specification (Detailed design domain) and in manufacturing specification (Manufacturing domain) and support specification (Support domain). Conversely MBSE V&V interface with design justification and manufacturing/support control.
The RV&V Interoperability Forum is organized in two groups:
- The User Group, composed of end-users, that defines the industry priorities in terms of RV&V interoperability use cases, and representative test cases.
- The Implementer Group, composed of MBSE and PLM tools/service providers, in charge of:
- Analyzing and challenging the use cases
- Elaborating interoperability solutions based on standards
- Validating these solutions through RV&V interoperability test rounds
- Documenting these solutions in RV&V interoperability recommended practices
Targeted exchange technology and data standard
Exchange technology range from file exchange (industry partners exchanging RV&V data files through the network) to webservices (machine-to-machine interaction over the network embedding RV&V data).
Regarding data standards, the only standard currently identified to convey RV&V data is STEP (ISO 10303). The STEP community recently developed a STEP Core Model (ISO STEP Core Model Technical Specification, 2021) that includes features a “requirement and V&V” Core Technical Capability.
Benefit for implementers is that the same data model (and same derived XML schema) is used by several STEP Application Protocols covering the product life cycle (including AP242 “Managed model-based 3D engineering”, AP243 MoSSEC, AP239 “Product Life Cycle Support”, and potentially AP233 Systems engineering).
Note: ReqIF from OMG (OMG ReqIF) is another standard, also XML-based, that covers the exchange of Requirements only, so doesn’t cover the required scope (also considering that the objective at short term is to extend from RV&V data to the whole MBSE data perimeter).
Use case under study
The use case depicts the exchange of RV&V data between a system manufacturer (OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer) and a sub-system supplier.
- System manufacturer model their system in their own MBSE environment, and the same is done by the sub-system supplier (or OEM).
- Data that is exchanged is a sub-set of their resp. system models: links must be maintained with the objects that are in their resp. proprietary domains, along the several exchange iterations. Also, the Specification provided by the sub-system supplier must include the links with the OEM requirements.
- The specific data of the system may evolve between the time the request is sent to the Sus-system supplier and the time the answer is received, requiring a reconciliation of the data received by the system manufacturer.
- The scenario includes the exchange of 1) Requirement data 2) Specification data 3) V&V data.
- Need to demonstrate exchange process capability to:
- Cover functional exchange: ability to exchange (input/output) the various objects and links
- Manage data export and import (incl. data reconciliation).
- Operate under constraints: security, Intellectual Property Rights, scalability.
The project partners come from Airbus, Ariane Group, ARAS, C-S Group, CIMPA, Dassault System, IRT Saint-Exupéry, Siemens.
Call for participation and collaboration
ATLAS is pleased to welcome additional participants: to join this initiative contact Yves Baudier or Pascal Hubert.
This project is open for collaboration with other associations over the world, with the objective to turn this initiative to an international project.
the RV&V-IF intends to build on this project by reusing a similar STEP data model and XML schema, linking requirements and testing. An expected benefit is to demonstrate digital continuity between requirements/V&V in system models and dimensional requirements/measures in the digital mock-up.
- CIMPA ReConnEct project :
This project has a lot of connections with RV&V-IF: scope including requirements and V&V, use of STEP XML technology as pivot format. Data analytics is also identified as a capability enabled by the future format.
- BoostAeroSpace AirDesign system requirement collaboration :
The collaboration processes developed by RV&V-IF could be implemented and piloted on AirDesign platform.
Pascal Hubert et Yves Baudier, AFNeT Services.